Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BOOKJACKET 1


SIGNS have some physical pattern, like a sound or visible shape AND a meaning. Anything that represents something else. Something that stands for something to someone. The red "A" represents the Scarlet Letter, which is a representation itself.

An INDEX would indicate; they always point, reference, or suggest something else. "A clock indicates the time of day." You can't see sadness, but you can see the tears that indicate it. You may not see the fire, but you can see the smoke that indicates to you that a fire is burning.

SYMBOLS are content words, like nouns, verbs, and adjectives, or sound patterns that get meaning, primarily from mental association with other symbols within our own personal schema, or from its correlation with environmental patterns. Symbols are IDEAS. An example of a symbol would be a peace sign. My pictures won't work for this, too big.

"This Means That" Notes:

-Signs are formed by the society that creates them. Truth.

-Societies form two basic sources of signing: natural and conventional. We wear clothes but the kind of clothes we wear is a matter of convention.

-Semiotics is confusing.

-The Adam and Eve apple story is overused and overrated.

-Some meanings we no longer take notice to...maybe that's my problem with the apple concept.

-With icons, there is a degree of resemblance between signifier and signified. Color photographs resemble the object being photographed.

-The woman in the photo reminds me of a Criminal Minds episode.

-The black eye reminds me of the girl on the Bachelor last night who magically woke up with a black eye.

-The photo helps to remind me that photos can stimulate the viewer and highlight what the photographer wants us to see, though there's always a deeper meaning.

-Handwriting (signifier) is caused by a person writing (signified).

-The word "symbol" in Greek means "to throw together." I have a Greek friend from Canada.

-Shaking hands (the signifier) is an arbitrary relationship of the signified (a greeting).

-The window of the soul is the mouth, not the eyes. Thanks ML (Mona Lisa).

-I must have a dirty mind, "I didn't eat Grandmother's chocolate cake" seemed dirty to me.

Oops.

-A message travels between a sender and a receiver in a specific context and through a specific object. The aim of the sender is to make sure the message has reached the right receiver without anything going wrong... BOOM. Design.

-A simile is a comparison between two different things. No way.

Book Design Review: http://nytimesbooks.blogspot.com/

I noted from the book covers I've looked at so far that the most successful were the ones that I could easily read the title and quick. When walking through Borders, (which I did over break because the one by my house was going out of business- 75% off yall!) if the book is facing the front, obviously I'll judge. But if the books are lined up, the name and color palette of the spine is what I respond to first. That will be important to my design - a color palette. I will put a lot of time in figuring the most girly, yet almost clashing colors to represent the betrayal in the book for all three of my designs. I will make the title easy to glance at. I feel the title on the cover is necessary, because to me, titles are almost as important as the design. Titles can make or break a book as far as I'm concerned, and without the title on the cover, I probably wouldn't turn the book to look at it.

"Something Borrowed" is a catchy title. Perfect. Simple book covers can be fun, ESPECIALLY with photography. My strong personal interest in photography will be playing a huge role in my project, and I'm glad we have the option to use it. This is too funny - I would read it just because it's funny.





Texture will get you far in life. Love.

The imagery with the skulls, stars, and hair is awesome. Not a fan of the type.

I dig the photo/drawn combo. Mixed media, ya dig.

Just simple enough.


For the DVD project, Tad showed us at least 28 covers of DVD's as examples with this idea.
The idea of drawing the important objects of the film (or book) or simple drawings that represent the characters. Then, almost everyone tried to replicate it with their movies, especially Badlands.

OVERRATED.
COME UP WITH YOUR OWN SHIT.

Cheers to second semester and honesty.
F.O.E
- J.



No comments:

Post a Comment